Thursday, June 28, 2012

French Fashion


Helene and I at a beach near Montpellier

I'm not feeling so hot right now, (double pun intended because, 1. I got another killer sunburn at the beach today and I am in so much pain from the heat, and 2. Let's face it, my winning personality is pretty hot :p) but I really wanted to fit it 2 more blog entries before finishing Joiedeprivas. I need to have a last closure-type entry so that takes up one slot, and since spring, I've really wanted to do a post about French fashion, but I've never found the time or patience to sit down and write it (especially now because packing is going nowhere and tomorrow is my last crazy day in Chomérac). In addition, tomorrow I'm finishing off my blog so don't forget to bring your tissues! So, despite my headache and mild vertigo, I'm trooping on and doing this post!

France has always had a reputation for fashion. You know the images, Chanel, Hermès, Lacroix, Dior, YSL, the list goes on and on... In addition to that, there's the more stereotypical and accessible street-wear; the beret and foulard and striped boat top (I'm not sure what else to call it) immediately come to mind. However, we all know that stereotypes are like the truths in wikipedia: they're there, but you can't always count on them. With that being said, here are some of the fashion trends that were "in" during high school this year:

1. Oxfords: One of the most popular shoes worn by girls

2. Those high healed, lace-up aviator boots with wool cuffs in winter

3. Capes worn as winter coats (saved for the more fashionable)

4. Really drape-y (?) shirts and oversized sweaters

5. Scarves / foulards: Everyone's got 'em and I must admit that I have my share.

6. The soft, natural colors like mauve, tan, light pink, cream (Conveniently all the colors that look terrible on me.)

7. US Marshall t-shirts

8. Clothing and accessories with either the American flag or British flag

9. Striped boat tops of any kind

10. Anything lace

11. Bra straps will be shown

12. Adidas track suits worn by the guys (top and bottom worn together at the same time)

13. Blazers

14. "Man-bags" a.k.a purses

There's surely a bazillion other things that I've forgotten, but these are some of the big ones that I remember. I'm not a fashion whiz or a trend-setter or follower for that matter, but I'm not terribly out-of-the-loop. I like to do my research before I buy and I have to be wearing an outfit that fits my mood or else I'll just be uncomfortable and irritable the whole day. Right now I'm chillin' in my BC tee and my sports shorts and they're all gross and moist from the quarter-pound of after-sun lotion that has been absorbing into my skin. (Charming, aren't I?) Since the pain's getting the best of me, I'm gonna say good night now and dig through all my clothes in hopes of finding a little portion of my bed for the night. Bonne nuit à tous!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whether or not you are dressed in lace, stripes, foulards (?), capes, track suits, I can't wait to see you on US of A soil once again. And for Pete's Sake, buy sun block and apply frequently!

    I'm sending you good thoughts (and sending UP prayers) that your transition back home will be the perfect blend of pleasure and bittersweet. If you are feeling horribly conflicted about the ending of your year in France, that probably means you had a wildly wonderful year and were successful in your mission.

    Remember to look for the opening of A Brand New Door sure to appear somewhere near you soon!

    My heart is so very full bursting with pride and love!

    XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete